Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow Sleeping Mask Review
Sleeping masks have become a phenomenon not only in Asian beauty, but across the globe. If you’re unfamiliar with the skincare item, they’re a leave-on alternative to the also popular sheet masks. They’re super nourishing and eco-friendly, too!
It’s no surprise that Glow Recipe decided to create their own sleeping mask infused with the crowd-favorite watermelon extract. The Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow Sleeping Mask is a hyaluronic acid mask that plumps up, brightens, and smoothes the face, leaving you with a radiant complexion with a clean texture from the moment you wake up until the end of the day. If you’re on the search for an ethically-manufactured and 100% vegan and cruelty-free skincare item, then look no further!
Let’s learn more about this mask here.
Is glow recipe a good brand?
Glow Recipe is an American brand heavily inspired by Korean beauty. It started when co-founders Sarah Lee and Christine Chang wanted to create a vegan, cruelty-free, and 100% natural skincare brand to solve all sorts of skin-related problems without sacrificing ethical concerns. Sounds wonderful, right? Plus, it definitely helps that their fruity packaging is adorable. If you want to learn more about Glow Recipe, you can check out their other beauty and skincare products in our reviews.
About the Glow Recipe Watermelon Sleeping Mask
Glow Recipe’s Watermelon Sleep Mask prides itself on bringing a unique experience to one’s evening skincare routine: the texture is gel-like, bouncy, breathable, and light; the scent fruity and fresh. You wake up and the product has worked its soothing, exfoliating, and clarifying magic on your skin overnight to reveal a glowing complexion.
Did we mention the product was named the best face mask by three different publications? Nylon Korea’s Beauty Hit List and Women’s Health Beauty Awards in 2018 both praised it, and just last year, it was given the Glamour Beauty Reader’s Choice Beauty Award. If that doesn’t pique your interest, I don’t know what will!
What does the watermelon glow sleeping mask do?
This addition to Glow Recipe’s Watermelon Glow lineup boosts hydration while at the same time refining pores and gently exfoliating the skin. It’s said to help you achieve a glowing complexion.
Benefits of the Glow Recipe Watermelon Sleep Mask
There’s more to this Glow Recipe product than just cute packaging. There’s a reason almost everyone seems to sing its praises, and that’s thanks to the various benefits it offers. Let’s review some of them:
- Suitable for all skin types
- Helps revitalize skin cells
- Removes pore-clogging dirt to reveal a tighter appearance
- Includes citrullus lanatus extract
- Fruit-powered ingredients list
Reading the ingredients list is something one should take into account when eyeing a product, especially one that’s going to be staying overnight on your skin. Pressed for time and can’t look up every single ingredient on the product yourself? Worry not! We’ve made sure to do our part and compiled all the notable ingredients just for you:
- Watermelon fruit extract. The main component of this product. It’s a great antioxidant that restores much-needed hydration into your skin. It’s also rife with agents that fight off early signs of aging, like fine lines, wrinkles, dark spots, etc. It’s kind of a triple threat!
- Hyaluronic acid. A favorite among skin moisturizing products, HA is another hydrating ingredient. It’s said to be able to bind water 1000 times its weight in order to lock in moisture within our skin’s barrier. Sodium hyaluronate can also be found here.
- Glycolic Acid & Lactic Acid. These AHAs (alpha hydroxy acids) are responsible for sloughing off all the dirt and rough surface cells that clog up your pores from deep within. If you have sensitive or dry skin, don’t worry, as these acids are the milder of the bunch! Glycolic and lactic acid are pretty great for most skin types, unless you have specific allergies, of course.
- Beta Glucan. A chain of polysaccharides that help smoothen rough and dry areas
- Xanthan gum. This ingredient is used to stabilize the formula.
- Parfum & Benzyl Benzoate. Ingredients that give the product its fragrance. Fragrance can be an irritant in large amounts, however, since these two are found at the bottom of the list, it’s safe to say they are harmless.
You’ll also find a bunch of awesome fruit extracts in the list that are rife in antioxidants. They help nourish the skin, warding off any fine lines, wrinkles, and other early signs of aging that may occur in damaged skin. These fruit extracts include:
- Paeonia suffruticosa root extract
- Punica granatum (Pomegranate)
- Musa sapientum fruit extract (banana)
- Caulerpa lentillifera (seaweed)
- Brassica Oleracea Capitata Leaf Extract (cabbage)
- Cucurbita Pepo
How Do You Use Watermelon Glow Sleeping Mask on Your Skin
There are two ways to use this mask: as a sleep mask and a wash-off one. For the first purpose, dispense a generous amount onto your palm and gently pat onto the face as the final step of your night routine. You may layer an extra dime-sized amount if you’re of a dry skin type.
If you want to use this as a wash-off mask, simply apply a thick amount onto your entire face. Leave on for around 10 minutes so the skin can absorb all the nutrients. Rinse off with lukewarm water.
How often should you use watermelon glow sleeping mask?
You may use this mask regularly everyday. However, if you’re new to exfoliating acids, start off with a twice or thrice a week regimen.
Where to Buy Glow Recipe’s Sleep Mask
Do note that my experience with this product won’t be the same as others, simply because we all have varying genetic makeup. I should also mention that I’m one of the women with dry and sensitive skins, to give you an idea of what it’s like when I try new products. That said, I thought the mask was quite soothing and left my skin feeling soft when I tried it overnight. As a wash-off treatment, I don’t think it’s as effective. However, I did notice some parts of my face developing a few small bumps after constant use, which might be due to the AHAs (I’m already using a few separate AHA-infused items as part of my routine).
A few more good things: I absolutely loved the gel-like texture of the product. It’s hydrating without being too heavy and it’s surprisingly very fast-absorbing. I didn’t need to layer it again because one dollop was thick enough. It’s also not one of those overnight beauty products that leaves a stain on your pillow the morning you wake up, which I’m grateful for!
It’s true that the price range is a little out of budget. But without taking that into account, I’d say the brand definitely got plenty of things right! The face feels smooth immediately post-application and it doesn’t stain your pillowcase the morning after, as said in their website. While I wouldn’t call it a beauty must-have, those in the search for an all-natural vegan solution to dry and damaged skin might find a friend here.
Joey is an AB Psychology graduate of the University of St. La Salle – Bacolod. Her life’s passions include writing, film, and spending hours on end binge-watching fashion vloggers on Youtube.