Table of Contents
Fresh Formula Glass Skin Series Review
If there’s one thing that never goes out of style, it’s a glow that looks healthy no matter what. If you suffer from a dull complexion with acne marks, scarring, or hyperpigmentation, local brand Fresh Formula might have the perfect four-step solution.
This miracle worker is part of Fresh Formula’s skincare sets primed to address every modern-day Filipino’s skincare needs. If you want to achieve the so-called “glass skin” effect (the uber-moisturized, perfectly dewy K-beauty craze, if you’re unfamiliar), take a look at this rejuvenating set and see what it has to offer.
About the Fresh Formula Glass Skin Series
Want to support local while sporting clear skin? Fresh Formula is actually a locally-owned brand. It’s the sister company of Colourette Cosmetics, a super popular makeup line and a personal favorite of mine. The connection only piqued my interest, so now I’m even more excited to try this thing out.
Because the Glass Skin series aims to provide clear, dewy skin, I already had an inkling of the ingredients that might be included in the products — plenty of which have been too harsh (exfoliants, alcohol, etc.). Let’s hope this one is a pleasant surprise.
The package includes:
- Milky Glow Illuminating Facial Wash
- Rosy Glow Face Tonic
- Morning Glow Brightening Serum SPF 45
- Golden Glow Repair Serum
Other skincare sets from the brand include the Moisture Boost Series and the Blemish Rescue Series. The Moisture Boost Series is designed for dry, damaged complexions while the Blemish Rescue Series is perfect for those who struggle with acne.
Does glass, Dewy skin look good?
Before we get into all the goods, what exactly is glass skin? We all know it when we see that shine sitting on top of the cheeks. So how did this term come to be?
Turns out, it doesn’t literally mean your face looks like glass. In Korea, where the trend originated, there’s no direct translation for the phrase. Instead, people would use words that described glass, like “bouncy” or see-through skin, according to Peach & Lily cosmetics founder Alicia Yoon.
Alicia further explains that in K-beauty, this is the state where your complexion is “at its healthiest.” She also shares that this kind of luminous, even-toned complexion doesn’t happen in a day.
“In order for skin to appear poreless, luminous, and translucent, so many things have to happen. You can’t just be hydrated and look that way. [It] really needs to be its healthiest in all aspects.”
Since it’s also a K-beauty trend, most people would recommend you follow a 10-step Korean skincare routine. But that doesn’t always work. For one, our country’s climate is vastly different from Korea’s. Another reason is simply that everyone has different genetics. That’s why it’s pretty useful to have a local brand that knows Filipino complexions better.
Which serum is best for glass skin?
A huge part of Korean skincare is moisturization. Essences, serums, leave-on masks — most of these are just different ways to pack hydration onto the skin. Belif specialist Grace Lee says to keep an eye out for serums with hyaluronic acid or vitamins as these will keep your face plump and dewy.
You’ll notice that Fresh Formula’s Glass Skin set includes the Golden Glow Serum, a daytime product that serves as a moisturizer to hydrate and relieve dryness.
Benefits of the Fresh Formula Glass Skin Series
Fresh Formula’s new series is ideal for those who have dull, lifeless complexions — or anyone who wants to get rid of pesky marks and scarring, really. Included in its list of benefits are:
- Helps achieve a flawless, radiant glow
- Cleanses, hydrates, and nourishes in 4 easy steps
- Removes dullness
- Brightens complexion
- Reduces texture
- Exfoliates extensively to unclog deep-seated dirt
- Prevents acne from forming
- Vegan, paraben-free and cruelty-free skincare products
- Addresses skin concerns such as pimples, blemishes, and aging
We can’t forget to check the ingredients list when we’re trying out new skincare products. To make sure that it’s really safe for any skin type, including sensitive skin, we’ll take a look at the core ingredients in each product of this set. We’re off to a good start as Fresh Formula’s skincare sets are said to be vegan, paraben-free, and cruelty-free!
Fresh Formula Milky Glow Illuminating Facial Wash
- Grape Seed Oil. A light, nourishing oil from the seed of grapes, this ingredient is packed with polyphenols — compounds found in fruit that contain tons of antioxidants and skin-nourishing properties. Grape seed oil is highly considered to be a great addition to any skincare routine, as it contains fatty acids and vitamin E too.
- Glycerin. A favorite in the skincare world for its highly moisturizing properties, glycerin is one of the most trusted molecules in terms of treating dry skin.
- Salicylic Acid. SA is super great for treating skin problems (acne, blackheads, whiteheads, etc.). It works by shedding the top layer of dirt and dust as well as reducing inflammation of the barrier.
- Niacinamide. Vitamin B3, also known as niacinamide, is a multipurpose skincare superstar that is known to lighten dark areas as well as keep your complexion clear and hydrated.
- Alpha Arbutin. This is where the brightening part of the product comes in: AA is a well-known lightener that works by inhibiting the body’s melanin production.
- Sea Kelp Extract. This underwater ingredient is perfect for those who suffer from dry or flaky skin. Its high iodine content helps soothe and soften irritated skin.
Fresh Formula Rosy Glow Face Tonic
- Glycolic Acid. One of the milder AHAs, glycolic acid is a pretty effective exfoliant. Even at low concentrations, it’s powerful enough to slough off dead cells. Be sure to take it slow and build up tolerance first if this is your first time using actives in your skincare routine.
- Witch Hazel Extract. If you’ve got oily skin, witch hazel extract can help: it’s known to soothe inflamed skin, unclog pores, and remove excess oil. The only problem is, it’s not great for sensitive or dry skin, especially in a toner.
- Green Tea Extract. Full of antioxidants that keep the face looking extra healthy and plump, this skin-loving ingredient exfoliates, soothes, repairs, and minimizes blemishes on the skin.
- Horse Chestnut Extract. A solid toner that helps your face stay smooth and soft.
Note: This product is alcohol-free.
Fresh Formula Morning Glow Brightening Serum SPF 45
- Pineapple Fruit Extract. Turns out that pineapple extract has the best of both worlds: it’s a gentle exfoliant (removes excess oil) as well as a nice soothing and moisturizing agent.
- Lactic Acid. Perhaps one of the mildest AHAs, lactic acid is the exfoliant of choice for many people whose skin is a little on the sensitive side.
- Giga White. Derived from the Alpine plant, this ingredient minimizes signs of aging as well give your face a luminous glow.
- Pepha Tight. A natural bioactive, this mix of different compounds makes the face appear tighter and firmer, completely eliminating any sagging.
- Vitamins A, C, and E. Vitamins aren’t only good for the body, but for the skin, too. These three all improve skin health, eliminate toxicity, and provide a moisture boost.
- Fragrance. The last ingredient on this list is fragrance, and while the exact concentration isn’t disclosed, we can surmise that it’s not too high to pose a risk for breakouts.
Golden Repair Serum
- Gotu Kola. Also known as centella asiatica, this plant-derived goodie is known to speed up the healing process through collagen production. It’s also said to be beneficial for those who have early signs of aging, because it can tighten the face and keep it plump.
- Collagen. An uber-important component of any healthy barrier, collagen is what keeps the face looking youthful and vibrant.
- Pentavitin. Tired of having a tired-looking complexion? Pentavitin is another natural bioactive said to help a stressed-out complexion by injecting hydrating components and bringing a dull complexion back to life.
- Pepha Protect. This bioactive contains vitamins and amino acids, which we already know are great for keeping the face youthful and firm.
How to Use the Fresh Formula Glass Skin Series
Step 1. Always start your skincare routine by cleansing. Take a small amount of the Milky Glow Illuminating Facial Wash and massage onto the face. Rinse with lukewarm water.
Step 2. Next, apply the Rosy Glow Face Tonic all over the face and neck using a cotton pad.
Step 3. Finally, apply the Morning Glow Brightening Serum all over the face and neck. This serves as your sunscreen, a.k.a. protection against sun exposure because the toner contains active ingredients that will make you photosensitive.
Step 3 (Night). Repeat steps 1-2 for your nighttime routine. Apply the Golden Glow Serum before going to bed in lieu of the Morning Glow serum. Now you’re all done!
Where to Buy the Fresh Formula Glass Skin Series
Are you enjoying this review and thinking about making the purchase? The Fresh Formula Glass Series is available right this second at Lazada. Check it out now and avail of the best deals in prices, shipping, and more! You can also check out the Moisture Boost Series and Blemish Rescue Series from the same company.
So, to get it out of the way: my skin concerns prior to trying this set out were dullness, uneven tone, and some textured patches here and there. Spoiler alert: I didn’t achieve the poreless, flawless-without-makeup look the brand was promoting, but the results were still pretty awesome.
Since most inclusions are fitted for lackluster and somewhat dry complexions, I was definitely happy to pack it all on. The serums served as a moisturizer, which I loved. The only product I didn’t like was the toner, which I eventually used only every other day to avoid triggering my flakiness. I ended up not finishing the entire bottle.
Even then, I ended the month with some incredible results. I noticed fewer uneven spots and my complexion visibly became lighter. But the best part was the lack of texture in what used to be rough patches, which made it so much easier to apply makeup. The key is moderation.
It’s great if your complexion is oily, combination, or normal. After 30 days, I did notice that my face became significantly lighter and brighter, despite its negative initial reaction. I also didn’t achieve the highly-coveted glass-looking complexion, but the before and after is pretty crazy.
Overall, getting the best results is a combination of already knowing your body’s needs and pacing yourself with this set. Plenty of reviews say it’s too stripping, but I found that with the right tweaking and adding my own personal skincare favorites, I was actually able to stick with this set for 30 days.
Joey is an AB Psychology graduate of the University of St. La Salle – Bacolod. Her life’s passions include writing, film, and spending hours on end binge-watching fashion vloggers on Youtube.