Table of Contents
Dr. Alvin Rejuvenating Set Review
If you’re unfamiliar with them, rejuvenating sets are incredibly popular here in the Philippines. They’re affordable, they’re effective, and they’re convenient. However, plenty of them also contain peeling ingredients that may be too harsh on the skin. Should you choose to purchase such a set, it’s of utmost importance that the ingredients found in each product are gentle and don’t cause a negative reaction.
That said, in this review, we’re going to be talking about this rejuvenating kit which comes with a kojic acid soap, rejuvenating toner, rejuvenating cream for night use, and a sunblock cream for the morning. We’re also going to be taking a look at each one to see which ones can take good care of our skin and which ones can stay in the box. Let’s get started!
What is the side effect of a rejuvenating set?
A rejuvenating kit typically comprises four products: one cleanser, one toner, one sunscreen, and one cream. These products often use exfoliants and active ingredients in order to speed up the skin’s natural exfoliation process, a.k.a. shedding dead skin cells. Best case scenario, a nasty, dull, and/or uneven layer of skin gets removed, revealing softer, more youthful, and even skin underneath.
However, since you’re using quite a few products with exfoliants in them (and usually in unknown or undisclosed concentrations at that), your skin can be prone to adverse reactions. Too many of these harsh ingredients can cause visible peeling, redness, itchiness, and increased photosensitivity. They also cause dryness because of this. If you have sensitive skin, rejuvenating sets are not recommended.
If you try a product and feel it sting from the first try, you have to discontinue it immediately. Also, it’s important to note that these side effects are not supposed to be normal. If ignored, they can lead to serious skin damage. Always remember to do a patch test before using a product to ensure that no irritation occurs.
About the Dr Alvin Rejuvenating Set
Dealing with pimple marks and acne scars that just won’t go away on their own? This all-in-one kit might just save you a ton of time and money. The set aims to get rid of skin pigmentation, pimple marks, even out skin tone, get rid of acne scarring, whiten the complexion, diminish the appearance of pores, and reduce signs of aging like fine lines and wrinkles. This rejuvenating kit is also said to be suitable for different skin types.
The package includes:
- Reuvenating Soap
- Rejuvenating Toner
- Rejuvenating Cream (Night Use)
- Sunblock Cream SPF 15 (Day Use)
Benefits of the Dr Alvin Rejuvenating Set
If you’re struggling to treat pimples, remove stubborn dark spots, or clear away residual pimple marks, then you might have found your solution. This product kit has the following benefits:
- Brightens and whitens the face
- Removes hyperpigmentation
- Reduces signs of aging
- Keeps the face looking fresh
- Protects the face from harmful UV rays
- Clears acne marks
- Removes pimples
Ingredients of the Dr Alvin Rejuvenating Set
As always, it’s good practice to check the ingredients on the packaging before you purchase any product! That way, you can avoid any unwanted reactions and unnecessary expense.
Kojic Acid Soap
- Sodium Hydroxide. A cleansing and denaturing agent, this ingredient is essentially what removes all the dirt and dust that gets trapped in your skin. However, it can get irritating when used too often or in high concentrations.
- Kojic Acid Dipalmitate. This is a derivative of kojic acid that is said to be more effective in whitening the face.
- Glycerin. A moisturizing component, this ingredient offsets the other drying ingredients found in this product.
- Fragrance. A controversial ingredient, fragrance keeps the smell pleasant and masks any untoward scents from the other ingredients found in the product. However, it is also a potential irritant that may cause allergic reactions.
- Ethyl Alcohol. Alcohol is often used as an anti-microbial. But it’s also a penetration enhancer, which is why you’ll find it in many products that have active ingredients, such as this one. But this formula is also incredibly outdated as many toners now do away with alcohol due to its side effects.
- Alpha Arbutin. This is an ingredient that can brighten the skin significantly over time. But there’s a catch: alpha arbutin is a natural derivative of hydroquinone, which is known to be too harsh when used unsupervised. Over time, alpha arbutin releases hydroquinone. The good thing is, since the skin is exposed to only a small amount of the chemical, it’s not as toxic as in a pure concentration. However, it’s still unsure whether this ingredient is safe for lactating mothers.
- Cetyl Alcohol. This ingredient helps soothe dry skin.
- Glycolic Acid. Glycolic acid is a common exfoliant typically found in anti-aging products. It’s an AHA that helps slough off dead skin cells and reduce skin problems like wrinkles, fine lines, and uneven dark spots.
- Lactic Acid. Yet another mild exfoliant, lactic acid is great at gently unclogging the pores and removing deep-seated dirt. In return, you get softer, smoother skin that looks like it has smaller pores.
- Retinol. An anti-aging superstar, retinol is a popular ingredient for a reason: it’s super effective. It promotes collagen growth while also getting rid of nasty dead skin cells. However, since it’s quite strong, dermatologists recommend starting out slow and not using it everyday if it’s your first time.
- Triethanolamine. This ingredient controls the pH balance of your skin. It also works great with acidic ingredients.
How do you use Dr Alvin Rejuvenating Set?
Before you start daily use of this product, please always remember to do a patch test! Simply apply a small amount of product to the inner arm or behind your ear. Wait 24 hours to see if there is any burning, significant peeling, or redness. Any of these symptoms should be a cause for concern.
That said, if you aren’t experiencing a peel or a sting after testing the product, you can go ahead and start using. Should any of these symptoms occur at any point, immediately discontinue use. If symptoms persist, consult a health professional.
Note: this product is not recommended for lactating women and girls under 18 years of age.
Here’s your routine with this kit:
- Kojic Soap — Wash your face and neck then apply the soap until it lathers. This will remove all the deep-seated dirt in your pores. Wash off thoroughly with lukewarm water.
- Rejuvenating Toner — The toner is meant to remove pimples and effectively clear away any bacteria that threatens to form into acne. Use it after cleansing. Apply toner using a cotton pad and gently swipe it all over the face and neck. Do not use it for more than 30 days. Afterwards, move on to the maintenance set offered by the same brand.
- Sunblock — As with most active ingredients, your skin will become more sensitive. It’s important to reduce exposure to the sun as well as religiously apply sunblock. Take a generous amount and apply it evenly all over the skin 30 minutes before exposure, as per the product’s instructions. Reapply every 2-3 hours if you’re under constant exposure to the sun.
- Rejuvenating Night Cream — Do this as the last step of your night routine, right after your toner. Massage the cream evenly all over the face.
Dr. Alvin’s Professional Skin Care Formula Youtube Video Review
Where to Buy the Dr Alvin’s Rejuvenating Set
Want to try this product for yourself? You’re in luck, because it’s available right now on Lazada! Check out their site for the best price deals, seller options, and shipping choices!
I’ve heard of plenty of rejuvenating sets that come with horror stories. I definitely went into this review open-minded, as I try to do with all reviews here, but based on experience, my face simply does not jive well with these products. As in, my face kind of hates them. By now, I honestly have trust issues with the words “suitable for all skin types.” Either they’re not being truthful, or my skin has a level of sensitivity that manufacturers are yet to discover.
But then again, I completely understand and am a firm believer in the need for affordable and accessible skincare. So if there’s one out there that won’t disappoint, I will be all for it.
I will say that out of all the sets we’ve reviewed here, this one didn’t really stand out to me. In fact, it has a few more ingredients that my face doesn’t enjoy, namely, fragrance. Going in, I didn’t really expect any positive feedback from my skin.
The first thing I noticed was the soap. It was not as drying as I expected so I was able to stick with it for a week. I experienced some mild stinging with the toner about a week into using it, too. The good news is I did notice some pimples clearing away. The bad news is the eventual peeling. I tried to stick it out, but my face just said not today! It’s not a manageable kind of peeling either, as it came with redness. I had high hopes for the sunblock but given that it was only 15 SPF, I already knew it wouldn’t be enough to protect my face.
The only product that didn’t betray me might be the night cream. While it also contained active ingredients, it was also moisturizing and soothing. I kind of needed it, after all those chemicals tag teaming to basically strip my skin of every last drop of moisture. My skin felt relieved and moisturized after applying the cream.
So that’s it. Would I recommend this product to my friends? I’m not so sure, unless they’re someone with incredibly thick skin. Maybe someone who is of an oily skin type would have a better experience with the product. I did see brightening effects in a short amount of time, but it still wasn’t picture-worthy given the peeling.
Like I said, I wouldn’t recommend this product to those with dry skin, but I did see improvements in uneven tone and pimples. Is it worth the side effects? Honestly, I don’t think so. But as is with skincare, your mileage may vary and what doesn’t work for me might still have a fighting chance with you.
We hope you enjoyed our post! Do you have any experiences to share with this kit? Don’t hesitate to leave a comment, story, or picture below! We’d love to hear from you.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Is Dr Alvin FDA approved?
One way to make sure you’re getting a good product from any seller is by checking their status with the FDA or the Food and Drug Administration. It’s actually quite easy, too! The website itself has a search function that lets you enter certain products to check if they are notified with the board or not yet approved.
In this case, this particular kit from the aforementioned brand is not approved by the FDA. You may read the statement issued by the FDA on their site here.
Joey is an AB Psychology graduate of the University of St. La Salle – Bacolod. Her life’s passions include writing, film, and spending hours on end binge-watching fashion vloggers on Youtube.