Table of Contents
How To Do Nail Extensions at Home
There’s no limit to where your creativity will take you. While staying in the comfort of our homes, you can do something to help you unleash your creative style, like personalizing your own wardrobe, curating your makeup kit, and even customizing your nails.
In this article, we will teach you how to create your own nail extensions at home.
Transform Your Natural Nails with These Nail Extensions
If you’ve seen Billie Eilish, Cardi B, and Beyoncé’s long nails, you’d know that you can actually transform your nails into something more. Learn about these nail extensions and find out which suits you best.
Acrylic Nail Extensions
One of the most popular forms of nail extension is acrylic nails. It is made up of monomer liquid mixed with polymer powder that forms a hard protective layer that you can sculpt on your nails.
If you want to be extra fab, acrylic extension is the way to go! You can achieve extreme nail lengths and look sassy as ever.
- Strengthens natural nails and is suitable for those who have weak and broken nails
- Hardens nails and prevents chipped nail tips or corners
- Lasts longer than gel nails
- Damages nails if not removed properly
- Tends to look fake. However, it can look natural if applied properly or by a talented nail technician
Fiberglass or Silk Nail Extensions
You can try fiberglass or silk nails for a more natural-looking nail extension. It is perfect for those with short nails or broken nails.
Fiberglass or silk nail extensions involve a process of cutting fiberglass or silk and sealing them with resin or glue onto the nail bed or tip. Although less popular, this is best for those who want to achieve a natural look.
- Fixes broken nails
- Looks like your natural nails
- Provides strength to nails
- Limits creativity. It is mostly used for short extensions or broken nails
- Damages easily, especially if you have an active lifestyle
Gel Nail Extensions
If you want to achieve longer nails in seconds, gel nail extensions are the one for you. They are like acrylic nails but better!
Gel extension involves hard gel built on a natural nail. It is a much healthier and easier look that can be created just by applying a hard gel on top of your nails or artificial nail extension and curing it with a UV lamp.
- Helps you achieve strong and beautiful nails
- Gives lightweight nail tips
- Removes easily
- Provides a safer and healthier alternative to acrylic nails
- Weakens nails over time
- Works well on long nails but not on short nails
- Requires UV lamp for curing
DIY Gel Extensions at Home
Since gel nails are the safest and easiest to apply and remove among the three, you can definitely apply nail extensions perfectly at home.
For this nail look, you will need a complete gel kit comprising of:
- Regular nail file, grit nail file, or e-file
- 100% acetone or strong nail polish remover
- Base coat
- Gel nail polish
- Gel extensions or nail tip covers with different sizes and shapes
- Nail glue
- Top coat
- UV lamp
Be your own nail tech and apply for nail extensions perfectly by keeping in mind these three essential tips:
Prep Your Natural Nail
The key to achieving the perfect nail extension is proper nail prep. If you don’t want your gel nail polish to get lifted, chipped, or removed easily, make sure you follow these steps:
- Start by cleaning your nails and removing dead skin, old polish, or gel.
- Using two nail files, start filing your nails to your desired shape and texture. You can also use an e-file if you want to be super-efficient.
- Gently file the areas near your cuticle and buff the entire top of each nail, essentially removing all the shine from your natural nail and getting into the free edge and corners. This process helps you achieve the perfect angle for your nail tips.
- Gently push back your cuticles with a metal cuticle pusher tool. You can choose not to cut your cuticles but make sure that you clean up any loose bits if needed.
- Clean up by brushing any excess dust and wash your hands without soap.
- Wipe your nails using a paper towel with acetone. Make sure that your nail is completely matte before proceeding to the next step.
If the Nail Fits, Then Wear It
You have to go through different nail extension sizes to find which fits best for each of your nails. The nail sizes selected should cover the full surface of your nails.
Apply nail extensions perfectly according to all your nail sizes by using a thin coat of nail glue on the inside and directly on your natural nail.
Cure-ate Your Nails
After applying your nail extension using nail glue, place the nail under a UV lamp for about 20 seconds and leave it to finish curing under the lamp until the light turns off.
Remember to do this one nail at a time. Proceed with the next nail and repeat the same process.
Once you apply nail extensions on all of your nails, you can start curating your nail look by trimming and shaping your nails to your desired length and nail form and applying the gel polish of your choice.
Here are the steps on how you can apply your gel nail polish:
- Gently buff over the top of your nails with a file. Make sure to remove the shine and create a more textured surface.
- Start by applying the base coat.
- Cure each nail using a UV light. (A small UV lamp will do!)
- Coat your nails with the gel polish of your choice. You can also add some nail art if you want.
- Cure once again with UV light.
- Finish off with the top coat and place it under the UV lamp for the last time.
- Apply cuticle oil as soon as you’ve finished your gel manicure. Make sure to apply a thin layer directly on your extensions.
Consider this your lucky day if you’re looking for a sign to finally try and create nail extensions at home. Maybe someday, you’ll be able to apply nail extensions perfectly and won’t ever feel the need to go to nail salons again.
As I’ve said, there are no limits to creativity. Try out new things, and you’d be surprised by what you can do. Make use of your creativity to apply nail extensions perfectly. You’ll never know unless you’ll give it a shot!
Mhicole is a graduate of Bachelor of Arts in Communication from the Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila. She is a storyteller by day and a wayfaring soul by night. When she’s not obsessing over skincare, she cries to drama series, spends time with her dogs, and dyes her hair as a form of therapy.