1. Thou shall not dress according to what’s in seasonHow many times have you heard that florals and pastels are for spring? I find it quite pretty silly that a certain print or color scheme can only be worn in one season of the year. And who came up with the idea that dark hues were suited for the winter? The season is dreary enough, why can’t we brighten it up with a bright red trench or cute pink wellies? Or better yet, why not add a bit of life by adding florals into a winter wardrobe?Another thing that seems to be restricted to colder weather conditions is leather. With us not having anything cooler than rainy season, that seems rather unfair, doesn’t it? Maybe a leather jacket is a little excessive in 30 degree heat, but a leather biker is perfect for cooler months. Plus, there are other leather (or PU leather) items out on the market, such as these Stretchy Faux Leather Leggings.
Upgrade your leggings collection with this pair!
2. Thou shall not limit flats to casual outfitsWhoever said that we weren’t allowed to be comfortable during formal events is insane. While heels may the obvious choice for gowns, cocktail dresses and other occasionwear can easily be paired with pointed slingback flats, or pretty ballet flats. As we pointed out in a previous post, there are loads of heels that can easily be replaced by flats, all much more comfortable than balancing on stilettos.
3. Thou shall experiment with different sizesThere is absolutely no shame in going a size up and or down. Numbers on your clothes don’t mean anything, and there will be times clothing items will look better when they’re a little bigger. There’s more room to breathe. No one can complain about that.Also, don’t be afraid to check out the men’s sections of your favorite boutiques. Basics like tees might actually fit better.
4. Thou shall not be afraid of the crop topThere’s a common fear among ladies that don’t have a flat belly, that crop tops are an absolute no-no. The midsection is a problem spot that most of us have, but if there is a way to cover up while still sporting a tiny top. High waist jeans, midi skirt, basically anything with a high waist silhouette will do enough to cover your belly. That way, only a sliver of your midsection will actually be on display. You can even wear an A-line skirt, like this Astar Pleated Midi Skirt, to carve out an hour glass figure.Besides, if Ashley Graham can do it, so can you.
Feel feminine and pretty in this stylish skirt!
5. Thou shall cherish vintage styleDespite what experts might claim, nothing really ever goes out of style. Sure, there are periods of time when trends thrive, but fashion has a cyclical nature, so when something revolutionary pops up on the runway, it doesn’t matter if it ends up being short-lived or not, as surely we’ll see it again in the next decade or so.That being said, don’t reject clothes because they’re “out of date.” If you’re absolutely obsessed with bell bottoms that are still in good condition, there is no reason for you to get rid of them.
6. Thou shall not forget about accessoriesAccessories are the finishing touches of your ensemble. If you’re not in the mood to dress up but still want to put some effort into your final look, a handbag, the right shoes, and jewelry or headpieces are the way to go. How’s that for fashion rules? Over here, we want you to open your mind (and wardrobe) to new possibilities, without having to spend an extravagant amount. We have new products rolling in soon, so stay tuned for updates!
Items featured in this post:
Sheena is the lead fashion writer here at Pretty Me Philippines and has contributed articles for numerous lifestyle blogs and online publications. Other than keeping up with the latest trends, she loves baking and home DIY projects.