When everything else in your closet fails, even your trusty jeans, there’s one item you can always rely on. That’s right, your leggings. With your standard black leggings, there are no worries of a muffin top or the inevitable wear-and-tear on the inner thighs of denim. You won’t feel the discomfort of thighs chaffing when walking around in a skirt, and you can move freely without risking runs like with tights. Plus, they almost look like black skinny jeans, except they’re way more comfortable. All right, so picture yourself getting ready in the morning. You’ve already slipped into your favorite pair. What’s next? Will you go for your shirt dress, or a plain tank with a long cardigan? Or will you throw on a big graphic tee and tie a plaid shirt around your waist for that grunge vibe? How about that one item that’s a cross between a top and a dress? Options are endless with leggings, but something as versatile as these bottoms can at times leave us uninspired, meaning we return to the same formulas of outfits, usually in some form of the leggings + big top combination. While repeating ensembles is inevitable for most of us, no matter how extensive your wardrobe, going back to those classic combinations too often will take the creativity out of making an outfit. Sure, the chambray shirt, leggings and white canvas shoes together are easy and cute, but it never hurts to mix things up a bit. So skip your usual outfit pairings and refresh your legging style with these ideas:
1) Play with layersA shirt peeking out under a long-sleeve can be quite bulky if you don’t find the right bottoms to match it with. Reign it all in with some leggings to result in a down-to-earth look that will keep you warm this rainy season. You can also try it with a vest if the weather is too hot for long sleeves. Another thing you can do is put on some combat boots to add a bit of edge to your preppy appearance.
2) Wear it with your minisAs shared in the last post, the appropriate length of skirts and dresses can be tough to gauge at different work settings. So for those pieces that might cause a stir with HR, try pairing them with leggings. And the wonderful thing about this simple trick is it allows to maximize your entire wardrobe for the office!
3) Go for pleatherGo bolder in your leggings by choosing shiny, pleather ones. Less restrictive than leather or pleather pants, something like our Stretchy Faux Leather Skinny Pencil Leggings is best complemented with different textures, such as knit or a print of sorts. They’re also great for creating contrast in monochromatic or all-black outfits.
Grab a pair now to get it half off!
4) Throw on a blazerWhat’s a quick way to dress up those leggings? A blazer, of course! A fitted blazer will instantly add class to a white tee and cotton leggings. It’s less rigid than a pantsuit, and looks ultra chic when worn with a statement necklace or a pop of color. Think vivid hues for your heels or an eye-catching clutch for a classy girls night out.
5) Slip into some bootsKnee-length boots—let alone OTKs—aren’t really that common among Filipinas living in our hot, sweaty tropical country. But if we can wear sweaters in 25-degree weather, why can’t we wear boots? To really let those boots shine, it’s best to wear your leggings as it will streamline your entire ensemble, especially if your shoes aren’t fitted to your calves and knees. For a more daring look, black thigh-highs and leggings together is very sexy without being revealing.
6) Branch out with patternsBored of black or solid-colored leggings? Shop for some patterned ones! Although there are some pretty eccentric ones out there, we could all use a little more fun in our wardrobes. How about some Lee Paisley Leggings that you can match with a beautiful white tunic?
Buy this funky item for only ₱299!
7) Pair it with billowy sleevesWhen it comes to leggings, what often looks best with them are loose, longer, or bigger pieces on top. Got a bohemian blouse with big, bell-bottom-like sleeves? Let your top be the star of the show with slimming bottoms, like your leggings. Check out the Pretty Me leggings section to see what else we have to offer. And if you have any suggestions of your own, feel free to share your thoughts below!
Items featured in this post:
Sheena is the lead fashion writer here at Pretty Me Philippines and has contributed articles for numerous lifestyle blogs and online publications. Other than keeping up with the latest trends, she loves baking and home DIY projects.