1) Sneakers on repeatSneakers and leggings are at the forefront of athleisure, but when you consistently pair them together, it’s almost a waste. There’s so much more you can do with both, pairing them with dressier items for contrast. Experiment with different kinds of footwear, from wedges to sandals, ankle boots and slides, although try to avoid being super casual with flip flops. Leggings go great with heels, while cropped ones are the perfect length for calf boots.
2) T-shirtsLoose graphic tees are definitely one of the first things that pops into my mind when coming up with a leggings ensemble, and it’s probably the same for most women. While I wouldn’t say there is anything wrong with wearing a vintage tee featuring your favorite band, it’s the styling choices that follow. It’s almost instinct to reach for sneakers next, which ticks off two of the five items in this list of what NOT to pair with leggings (or at least pair is LESS often). You have a bunch of tops in your wardrobe, so try to avoid sticking to that tee and leggings duo and opt for a button-down, an off-shoulder number, and other tops that are loosely fitted, which brings us to the next article of clothing to avoid.
3) Fitted topsThe tight-on-tight silhouette is seriously overdone, and if the whole point of wearing leggings is being comfortable, why pair it with an article of clothing that will have you feeling conscious of looking fat in certain angles? Again, give yourself room to move and breathe. Play with loose silhouettes to balance out the skintight quality of leggings.
4) Crop tops and midriffsA crop top and leggings seriously puts everything on display. If you’ve got the confidence to wear this, that’s awesome, but this combination isn’t for everyone, and there are much better ways of wearing a crop top. The only exception to the leggings and crop top combination would be if you wore a loose layer over it, such as a kimono robe, chambray shirt or knitted cardigan. You can also wear an oversized jacket. Speaking of oversized jackets…
5) Sporty jacketsThere are a few outerwear pieces that fall under this category, which include letterman and bomber jackets, windbreakers and raincoats, you get the drift. Instead of sporty jackets, you want go for outerwear that maybe you wouldn’t normally pair with leggings, such as a leather jacket, or perhaps an oversized denim jacket. Blazers are also an unexpected option, with a long white tank underneath. Overall, the main thing to remember is that if you look like you’re going to the gym even though you’re not actually going to work out, then you gotta make a couple of adjustments. Nothing major, as you can see from our list, but just a switch of your top or shoes can make all the difference in the world. Also, you’re less likely to fall back on these items when you have leggings that don’t look like your typical yoga pair, such as these High waist leather leggings and these Skinny ripped stretch pencil leggings. Even these Glossy leggings are enough to get you to wear something a little dressier than your average tee. Don’t forget to check out the rest of our leggings collection!
Items featured in this post:
Sheena is the lead fashion writer here at Pretty Me Philippines and has contributed articles for numerous lifestyle blogs and online publications. Other than keeping up with the latest trends, she loves baking and home DIY projects.