(INSTAGRAM // selenagomez)With several of her latest Insta snaps featuring outfits complete with a handbag, we thought that the “Back to You” singer, PUMA brand ambassador and 13 Reasons Why series producer would be the perfect celebrity to help you with your accessorizing needs.For starters…
1. Determine the purpose of your bagIt’s pretty clear what kind of value a handbag has on our ensemble, adding a stylistic element to your look as well as carrying the stuff you need to go about your day. But what I mean by purpose is more specific—what do you need to put in your bag? Are you heading to the office and need to bring your laptop? Use a tailored messenger bag. Only need a little bag to carry your phone, credit card and lipstick? Grab a cute cross-body purse. Thinking of going shopping after brunch with the ladies? Go with the tote.
2. Consider the colorThere are a few things to keep in mind when it comes to the color of your handbag. Often, people will choose one that matches the dominant hue in the outfit, but a bag is a great way to introduce a pop of color, or at least bring out one of the less prevalent shades on your clothes.If you are going to wear some kind of print on your body, you’re best going with a solid colored bag, preferably matching it with one of the less frequent colors on your print (or going with a bright pop of color if the print is in black and white or other neutrals). For example, an outfit featuring this Boho asymmetrical printed maxi skirt would do great with a navy blue purse.If you feel like using a more eccentric handbag, keep the rest of your outfit simple. For Selena, an all black outfit should be offset with a purse that has a combination of solid-colored parts and prints, which goes seamlessly well with the rest of her ensemble of varying textures. Even though her look is composed of neutrals, the bag she selected is definitely a statement piece.
(INSTAGRAM // selenagomez)
3. Choose an appropriate sizeWhen it comes to casual wear, almost any sized bag works. Some days, a big shoulder bag seems necessary, while others, the essentials all fit in a wallet sized purse. Unless the clutch or cross-body bag has got sparkles, jewels, or generally metallic (thus matches better with occasion wear), you’re free to pick whatever size handbag you want. Excluding work totes, the general rule of thumb is that bigger handbags are, the better they are for casual ensembles. So if you’ve got on our High waist yoga leggings, one option you’ve got is a hobo bag.To finish her underwear as outerwear look, Selena goes for a mid size tailored leather bag with little rhinestone detailing.
( INSTAGRAM // selenagomez)
4. Be smart about the styleAs we’ve touched upon in the third tip, design elements determine the appropriateness of it with your chosen attire. We know that cocktail dresses and gowns like the Sleeveless sequin evening maxi dress are better off with sparkly clutches. Leather bags are quite versatile that they can be paired with your work wardrobe and weekend wear, but in terms of shape, tailored, rectangular shoulder bags are suited for smart casual outfits. Anything more free-form or outside of the conventional work tote shape are best for casual looks. Donning a waist bag over her shoulders, Selena’s bag of choice in this Insta upload shows us that you can definitely play around with how you wear your accessories.
(INSTAGRAM // selenagomez)
5. Match the materialMaterial is also a factor when picking the right bag. The majority of your bags are probably made of leather, which is one of the few types of bags that can be used across attires. But if you feel like using your crochet purse or perhaps a woven bag, you should reserve either for summery clothing. They’re also great for beach days when you’ve got on a Bohemian floral print one-piece swimsuit, white denim shorts and a floppy hat. With these tips in mind, you’ll always be choosing the right handbag for your outfit, no matter what outfit you’re wearing.
Items featured in this post:
Sheena is the lead fashion writer here at Pretty Me Philippines and has contributed articles for numerous lifestyle blogs and online publications. Other than keeping up with the latest trends, she loves baking and home DIY projects.